Below is the Job Description for our position, Director of Family Faith Formation.
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Director of Family Faith Formation (for Children, Youth, and Families)
HOURS PER WEEK: 30
REPORTS TO: Pastor(s)
The Presbyterian Church of Wyoming is a mid-sized community church inside the outer belt of Cincinnati, Ohio. We have served the close-knit community of Wyoming continuously for over 150 years. Our co-pastors began their ministry with us in July 2020. They have recognized the need for innovation in bringing the message of Jesus Christ to the next generation and have been encouraging an intergenerational approach to faith formation, which is a work in progress. Our top rated, in-house, preschool and the overall demographics of the Wyoming community present a ripe opportunity for encouraging young families in their faith development. We currently have a solid cohort of families with children who are elementary school and younger that attend semi-regularly.
We have active middle and high school youth groups meeting weekly which draw from outside the church. We have become an Ecumenical hub for middle school and high school youth. Older youth tend to participate in our youth groups and infrequently attend worship on Sunday mornings.
During COVID we have maintained a good baseline of faith building opportunities for our children and youth. However, there is now the opportunity to innovate as we strengthen our faith formation opportunities for children and families.
- The Director of Family Faith Formation will take the lead in providing faith building opportunities for young children during worship. Young children leave worship during the sermon for age specific faith formation. Currently we have found success with a leader telling a Bible story and engaging the scripture through Lego, art/coloring, or conversation.
- The Director of Faith Formation will work with our Young Congregations Team to ensure that faith building resources are available for children of all ages to support their inclusion in worship (worship kits).
- We are trying out combining our worship services to bring people together to strengthen relationships and simplify our Sunday morning schedule. With one combined worship service, we would like to provide supplemental faith formation opportunities outside of worship. The Director of Family Faith Formation, in collaboration with the pastors will determine the frequency and type of faith formation enrichment for all children at a time outside of worship. This may be a model that is seasonal or occurs on a monthly basis rather than every week. The Director of Faith Formation will work with the pastors to help determine the best approach. Opportunities for learning about the Bible, sacraments, prayer, and mission will be important for well rounded faith development for children and youth of all ages.
- The Director of Family Faith Formation will also work as a team with the pastors in designing churchwide/intergenerational worship, learning opportunities, and support systems for our parents of young families.
- In consultation with the pastors, the Director of Faith Formation will assess our current scope and sequence of curriculum and faith-based learning and make recommendations on how we can improve the formation process for children who grow up in our church. Parents have identified the desire to increase the amount of bible engagement children experience.
- The Director of Family Faith Formation will lead the Middle School Youth program alongside a team of volunteers. The Middle School Youth typically meet twice a month during the school year.
- The Director of Family Faith Formation will provide support in the recruiting, training, resourcing, and encouraging the volunteers who lead the High School Youth Group. Our high school program currently has a strong volunteer leadership team that has been in place for some time.
- Historically, our children and youth staff person has budgeted part of their weekly hours toward serving at our in-house preschool and public middle school right down the street as well as forming community connections. We see community outreach and relationship building as an important aspect of this role. Time has been built into the position to allow this to occur.
- Church leadership supports and encourages ongoing professional development, especially through The Association of Partners in Christian Education apcenet.org. Money and time is budgeted to support ongoing professional development for the Director of Family Faith Formation.
Our co-pastors highly value faith formation and will be a support and resource person to the Director of Family Faith Formation. The PC(USA) has a strong history in Christian Education and Faith formation. Our Director of Family Faith Formation is encouraged to tap into the networks and resources available through Apcenet.org. Part of the compensation package for this position includes funding for continuing education and participation in the Association of Partners in Christian Education network. We currently have a classroom complete with Godly Play materials, various pieces of high quality curriculum that have been collected over the years, and a budget to purchase other curriculum and resources as needed that support our faith formation ministry. Our Young Congregations Team provides insight, serves as a sounding board, and will help the Director of Family Faith Formation start making connections in the community. We are in the process of hiring a Sunday morning caregiver who will nurture the faith of our youngest children and/or provide extra hands in implementing Sunday morning programming.
- A strong faith in Jesus Christ, a love of young people, and enthusiasm for sharing the faith with them.
- Warmth, authenticity, and the ability to connect with people of all ages.
- Strength in organizing details, recruiting volunteers, and comfort with building relationships outside of the church.
- A willingness to support the mission, vision and priorities of The Presbyterian Church of Wyoming. Specifically, PCW comes from the reformed tradition and selects curriculum and resources that align with reformed theology. You can learn more about reformed theology by visiting the following https://odtd.net/reformed-theology/
- Passing a pre-employment drug test and background check is required.
- Experience in program creation and development
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in relevant field preferred, but not required
- Previous experience working or volunteering in a church organization
- Licensure & Certifications: Formal theological training, certification as a Christian Educator or willingness to become certified are preferred
BENEFITS: Partial medical insurance coverage, paid time off, and continuing education funds.
CONTACT: Pastor Anne Marshall with questions email@example.com or 513-821-8735