This hourly and non-exempt position is scheduled to work 35 hours per week establishing the business hours of the church office from Monday through Friday. The exact start and end time of each day are negotiable during the hiring process. It is important to be in the office to greet and direct visitors as well as work collaboratively with the staff members and volunteers. The church hours are flexible, but once established should remain consistent and published so that people know when they can expect the office to be open. The Office Administrator will report to the co-pastors and will attend weekly staff meetings as a member of the staff.
The Office Administrator runs the church office in a manner that creates a well-run and pleasant work environment for the staff, volunteers and members. This person is often the first contact at the church, so being friendly and able to see phone calls and drop-ins as integral to the job and not an unwanted interruption will be important. This role allows all the church’s ministries to function smoothly.
Qualities of the Ideal Candidate
Our ideal candidate will have an upbeat and positive attitude, be attentive to detail, organized, be an excellent proofreader and team player. They will be able to work collaboratively with other church staff including the pastors, Communications Specialist, Director of Music, organist, Director of Youth Ministry and volunteer leaders to create materials and content to facilitate church activities. They should be proficient in (or quick to learn) Microsoft Word, Excel, all Google Cloud applications including email, calendar, Docs and Sheets. Additionally, they should have knowledge of best practices related to database management or willing and able to learn.
Specific Tasks of the Position
- Be a welcoming presence and typically the first point of contact during regular office hours.
- Answer phone calls and buzz people into the building
- Meet daily with one or both pastors to review deliverables and priorities
- Maintain church calendar and oversee building scheduling
- Coordinate building event set up and tear down with the Facility Manager
- Maintain and update church database (currently use PowerChurch software)
- Maintain office and kitchen supplies by ordering, receiving and keeping organized for general church use
- Receive, organize and place other deliveries in intended spots
- Oversee use and repair of the copier and other office equipment
- Maintain general order and tidiness in the office and shared church spaces such as the copy room, library and small group gathering rooms
- Develop good relationships with church volunteers and coordinate volunteer help in the church office
- Work well with the nursery school staff and be able to direct nursery school parents
- Create weekly worship bulletins and occasional funeral/special service bulletins
- Pastors and musicians will provide content. Communications Director provides graphics/artwork
- Format and distribute weekly E-news using ConstantContact
- Pastors and leaders provide content, Communications Director provides graphics/artwork
- Publish and distribute/mail newsletter, online and print (5-6 times a year)
- Gather content from staff and volunteer leaders; edit, format, proofread Communications Director provides graphics/artwork
- Work with volunteers to get print copies in mail
- Create the annual report and annual stewardship campaign materials collaborating with church staff and committee chairs
Financial Record Keeping and Reporting Tasks
- Track congregant giving in PowerChurch
- Prepare and issue charitable giving tax statements (automated through PowerChurch)
- Ensure timely payment of accounts payable
- Keep clear, accurate and adequate records with supporting documentation of all church receipts and expenditures
- Ensure that clear policies, internal controls and practices are in place that govern the collection, handling, recording, receipting, use and reporting of funds within the church
- Ensure that necessary insurance (property, officer’s liability insurance with indemnification, etc.) is in place and reviewed/maintained
- Prepare monthly reports for the Finance Chair, heads of staff and Finance Committee including a monthly P&L as well as the ongoing financial position of the church against the annual budget and financial highlights
- Meet monthly with the Finance Chair and or other members of the Finance Committee in preparation for the monthly Finance Committee meeting
- Provide information for the preparation of the Annual Budget
- Process payroll 2x monthly
- Serve as Liaison to Board of Pensions
*We encourage you to apply even if you do not have experience in the financial tasks of this position. There is a potential for some of the financial tasks to be outsourced if necessary.
Must be able to easily use and maintain typical office equipment such as a computer and copier. Must have the strength and agility to lift and carry boxes of supplies that may weigh 25-30 pounds. Quickly navigate around the building.
To avoid a dual relationship, Presbyterian Church of Wyoming members are not eligible for this position.
To apply please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org