July 27, 2009
On September 15, 1869, the cornerstone was laid for the first Presbyterian Church of Wyoming, a white frame Victorian-Gothic structure on the northeast corner of the 103-acre Burns Farm. On October 14, 1870, the church was officially organized with seventy members. The Rev. Silas Hawley began his ministry with the dedication of the church building on October 16, 1870.
By 1885 the church had grown out of the frame building, so energies were directed to the building of a new and more substantial structure. While the men discussed the problem, the women of the church conducted a canvass, and in a single day raised $15,000. Encouraged by this, the officers of the church decided to erect a new stone church, that is, if the women could secure an additional $15,000 in pledges! They did, and construction of what is now our present sanctuary began in 1888. The services of the noted architect, Samuel P. Hannaford, were secured and the building was completed in 1889, dedicated on May 18, 1890.
The church continued to grow, and by 1931 its activities had outgrown the space available. The congregation embarked upon a new building program to offer additional space and to modernize the sanctuary. On October 11, 1931, the cornerstone for the original building was re-laid for the new addition, a one story structure with a basement. In 1958, further growth necessitated an addition of a second floor.
Then after almost 50 years passed, it was our turn to update and expand our facilities to meet not only current needs but to anticipate the needs of coming generations. In December of 2001, the congregation approved the plans for a new building and renovation and initiated the “Share the Vision” funding campaign. By July of 2002, $3.8 million towards the $4.5 million cost had been committed. Groundbreaking took place on September 8, 2002, and dedicated in March of 2004.
Since 1870, members of PCW have sought to be faithful to God and good stewards of all that God has entrusted to us. We have a strong legacy of love and commitment to this church and its mission in our community and our world. We look forward to what God has in store for us as we seek to follow the upward call of God in Jesus Christ. Thanks be to God!